Monthly Archives: February 2008

amplee 0.6.0 released

As per today’s announcement. I’m glad to release amplee 0.6.0.
This release is an important move from previous releases as it doesn’t include support for any HTTP layer out of the box anymore. The reason is that it made the previous API needlessly complex and stopped people to actually use amplee for what it aims at being: one simple representation of the AtomPub protocol server side. Basically I wish amplee was used as a library rather than as a host for AtomPub applications.

The 0.6.x branch will focus therefore on polishing the AtomPub model API as well as the related sub-packages such as the index and graph extension. Moreover I would like to improve the performance of amplee although they have already improved since 0.5.x. The graph sub-package is a first stab at using graph theory via the igraph package to perform foxy manipulations of Atom feeds.

One major change since 0.5.x is the move from bridge to Amara to parse, query and generate XML documents within amplee. I think that change was for the best considering the capabilities of Amara.

Another change is that I’ve dropped the INI file format for configuration and loading an amplee structure. Instead you can now directly use the XML service document itself and complete using a bit of extra code. That allows for some funny capabilities such as mirroring existing AtomPub service document (see the example directory for instance).
I would like to thank Eric Larson and Mohanaraj Gopala Krishnan for their feedback and patience. They have provided the project with a tremendous help.

IronPython, OpenGL, GLFW and SDL

Triggered by a question posted on the IronPython mailing-list by Jane Janet, I decided to see how IronPython would deal with OpenGL.
I quickly realized that the Tao framework was my best bet to gain access to OpenGL with .NET.
I therefore played a bit with the provided examples (ported from excellent tutorials such as NeHe) and started to port them to IronPython. I chose to use GLFW in order to get a context to run an OpenGL example rather than FreeGlut as I prefer the API design of GLFW.
I finally ported/wrote three examples on the IronPython cookbook as invited by Michael J. Foord.
The GLFW+OpenGL examples were easy to port and run.
However the SDL example has been quite a pain to setup. I think it comes down to the fact that Tao exposes the SDL API has an unmanaged code which means you have some conversion to do between IntPtr objects and SDL structures. Moreover I kept running into the SystemError: Missing or incorrect header for method GetValue exception when accessing structure attributes and that drove me nuts. Finally I settled for the horrible evt_type = Sdl.SDL_Event.type._get_(evt)</em> call that basically says:<em> in that structure, I want to grab the value of that field for the provided instance. Ugly I say.

Anyway I hope those few examples will help using IronPython in multimedia context without having to resort to Direct X.